Friday, February 01, 2008

A Nice Back-Effect

Ever since we installed the new floor last fall my lower back has been sore from bending over and pulling all the staples. Sore enough that at times certain movements have been difficult and uncomfortable.

I've been using a lotion with the anti-imflamatory MSM to help with the pain and I kept thinking that exercising the back muscles themselves would help them get stronger and stop hurting. Unfortunately, my weight lifting routine didn't seem to do the trick.

However, since I've been working with the TRX I've noticed that my back feels better. I don't know if this is because I'm working the ab muscles more, or if the "functional" nature of the workouts hits the area of my back that needed work or perhaps a combination of both.

Workouts themselves have been going well. I'm able to get done with the "weight lifting" portion of my workouts much faster now. This is due to the fact that I don't have to drive to the gym, change clothes, wait around for equipment, change weight amounts, carry plates around, shower, drive home, etc.

The workouts have also switched from low weight, high reps to high weight, low reps and as I learn how to use the TRX I find myself sore in places I don't expect. For example, from the one-legged squats I seem to be getting sore on the outer edge of my calf muscle and from the suspended chest press I feel sore in the upper part part of the pec where it inserts into the shoulder.

Based on how I feel after last night's "heavy" workout, I think I'm happy that I only have two sessions this week. Next week is a different story :).

No comments: