Thursday, March 20, 2008

Trashing a trainer


Bullwinkle: "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"
Rocky: "Again?"
Bullwinkle: "Nothing up my sleeve... Presto! (lion roars) Hmm, don't know my own strength."

Last week I was doing Anaerobic Intervals:

BT: Anaerobic-endurance intervals. Flat course. After warm-up do 2-3 x 8-12 second max-effort sprints (3-5 minute recoveries). Then do 4-5 x 3 minutes to heart rate 5b zone (3-minute recoveries). 2-3 more sprints. 95-110 cadence. Aero position.

I was just finishing the fourth 3-minute interval when I heard a loud crash and stuff started raining down on my head. Considering I was in the basement at the time, I figured this was a "bad thing." As my trainer was winding down from sounding like a jet engine, I noticed it had an odd vibration to it and it didn't sound right. This also seemed like a "bad thing".

Further examination revealed that inside the resistance unit there is a spinning disc with two counterweights or magnets (not sure which) fitted into little holes. Apparently one of these weights broke loose on a 30 mph sprint and took flight. I guess I'm very lucky it didn't embed itself in my back... or my skull.

No comments: